Saturday, July 07, 2007

Technology.

I remeber a day when I use to laugh at older person for not understanding the simplist of technological of ideas, how to program a VCR (at least they avoided Beta), how to work a CD player, what exactly Windows is etc.

I would help out willingly but within my nieve little brain there was a little voice laughing maniacaly to myself saying, "Hahaha fools, this will never happen to me...NEVER!!" But alas I find myself fighting the tide of ever changing gadgets and new trends on the net. I mean look at this blog thing! What the hell is this, what does it do and why should anyone care about? I'm only doing this at the moment because I am bored at work. The whole concept of music/video downloads is a strange fish to me as well. Call me old fashioned (go on, I may as well get used to it) but I'd much rather go down to the local music or DVD store and buy a physical object that I can hold in my hand rather than save some mysterious file to my hard drive. It's almost a sense of achievement when you add another CD case to a dusty collection of audio visual impulse buys.

I'm about to enter the market for a brand spanking new TV. But whenever I mention this to anyone the first thing they ask is, "LCD or Plasma?" Too which I reply "Plasma." Then they invariably reply, "Blah blah blah blah bladdy blah LCD is better." So to the next person who asks I say "LCD". To which they reply, "blah blah fliminy blah get a Plasma." For the love of criminy can someone sort out the whole Plasma or LCD thing soon. As long as it is a massive TV that I can watch the All Blacks win the world cup on...I don't care. Don't even get me started on the whole High Definition thing. Too late I have already started.

From a casual observers point of view there appears to be too many variants of HD. There is your HD Ready, HD Tuner, Integrated HD, Fully HD, Built-in HD, Digital HD...the list goes on. Listen here Mr. Sony and Mrs. Panasonic and all of your TV making buddies lets make this simple, a TV should be either HD, or not HD. There, I just simplified the whole TV shopping experience.

As much as I love the look and sound of all the new gadgets, I do miss the days when the only thing you had to worry about upon purchasing a TV was the size.

That was my whinge for today.

2 comments:

BarWench said...

Life must be treating you well - you haven't ranted in over a week mate!

Russman said...

You'd think that wouldn't ya, actually quite the opposite. I haven't had time to rant (in written form anyway) and secondly my computer is on the fritz so even if I had the time to rant the odds of my computer being able to process my words are slim to none.